Friday I finally found my motivation and decided to do something with the ever growing pile of fabric in my closet! I chose a pattern from a German sewing magazine from 1936 called Praktische Damen und Kinder Mode. These old German and Swiss fashion journals are my absolute favorite. They usually show about 30 different fashions and include a massive pattern sheet for all of them, in all different sizes. If you are a vintage sewer, you need a few of these! I haven’t found anything similar that includes patterns from any other country, but hopefully they’re out there 🙂 The only drawback is that the instructions are minimal, so if you are a new sewer, some of the complicated patterns can be difficult to navigate. To use these, you need tracing paper, and just need to find the numbers specified and trace out the lines indicated for those pattern pieces you need. Once you get the hang of it, it’s pretty simple. I finished this whole thing in one weekend, and I love it so much I might have to make another one!
First, trace out the pieces you need, in this case # 1-7
then lay out the pattern pieces on your fabric. This picture shows the actual color of the fabric
Sew the front and back pieces together, leaving enough unsewn in the back to fit your head through. Then attach the sleeves leaving the top part open (the yoke fits into these places). Afterwards, lay the yoke bits over top. you should have extending triangle areas that you need to set into the sleeves.
getting the yoke on right is easier if you put the blouse on and pin it while you're wearing it.
then bind the sleeves up with a ribbon, pleating it to fit into the ribbon. I left the ends longer so the ties hang down, but you could also just have it as a normal band (with none hanging down)
I used a vintage button and made a tie to close the back at the neck, but you could just as easily use a zipper or a button and buttonhole. I then added a small zipper on the side for fit.
a finished sleeve. you can also see how light the cotton I used is. You really need a flowing fabric for this blouse to work.
Finished! The waist ended up being too short, so I added another strip at the bottom. The other pictures made the fabric look grey, this is the actual color.
and voila! It really is the perfect project for a cold, rainy weekend. I can’t wait to wear it!